Skip to main content

WordPress For My Blog Life

Three months before, I was looking for web hosting company to host my web page . In the search of web hosting, I come across Wordpress, an open source blogging software which was based on php and mysql. As I have started using wordpress blog for the past couple of posts, I find myself quite bonded to wordpress.

Though My mind set says "wordpress was good", I just wanted to try other blogging schemes and also, i want to make sure that I am using the best blogging software. I compared the blogging experience with blogger/yahoo 360 and some opensource blog like simplephp blog etc. Every software has a plus and minus with in itself and definitely, wordpress stands ahead in this blog race.

As a programmer, I want to do some kind of coding on web. I want to manage my software, resources and everything. Atleast I want to have some kind of control over my knowledge, as the complete control was impossible. Over the period, I realised that, wordpress is not a just another blog tool and It also gives me the freedom to code in php and of course, this requires one to understand the wordpress functions so that It can be used properly in various pages. Now, I can easily design my own pages with php and link it to the wordpress page.

The most important advantage of wordpress is that, it promotes the usage of plugins and themes. I could not find well defined boundary between plugins and themes. Sometime they even overlap. In general, Themes represent the front page of the blog and plugins represent additional funtionality of blog. Its actually, the work of Alex Rabe(On Plugins) and Sadish (On Themes) impressed me. Their dedication and commitment towards wordpress, makes me think about wordpress.

Working with Wordpress, is not always bed of roses. I felt dissatisfied with wordpress when i tried lots of plugin and themes which are failed to work properly. This makes me think out of wordpress and the solution is to built another blog system. I am sure, its not going to take more than a month to build a blogging system. The disadvantages of this solution is reinventing the wheel. I would miss lot of features of wordpress. Also, I could not cope with the changing needs of Users(if somebody uses my software :)).

Considering the disadvantages, Finally, I choose to live in blog as Wordpress.

So What's Next, I have to learn coding with wordpress. Because of large wordpress userbase i could find lots of intresting tutorial for it. The one that i recently come across was that of "creating a theme for wordpress" in wpdesigner.com ..
For Non Programmers, wordpress may be a wrong choice..

Popular posts from this blog

Dual Role

Eversince my childhood, I loved watching movies. Its like living a dream and it's a wild fantasy. With the advent of technology, We the humans, were able to achieve a new dimension in Movies and "Dual role" is one common tweak in movies. Usually , Its One person playing two Characters in a film like twins, Father & Son etc and often (Esp. In Indian Movies), there would be some imperfection in screen when these two characters come together in the screen. Its really surprising to see two identical characters together. Just imagine how it would be if I was standing in front of you as two Aruns. Happy .. Right...So.. lets go to action. Lets assume that the twins were discussing about how to play dual role. The following simple bold two points explains how three aruns come to live in the above photo.. Just Visualize it..It is simple... 1) Take two (or more) photos with camera in same position while object(u) in different places Though there were many ways, This method redu

Katrathu Kaiyalavu

There was a Girl, who was Tall & Thin & Fair, her Hair, her Hair, was a color of Ginger An English Rhymes from the Tamil Movie, "Katrathu Tamil", One of the Excellent movie of the year, packed with interesting, informative dialogs and intuitive screenplay. Achan kovil, Xaviers College, Tirunelveli (My Dad graduated there), munusaamy(A tamil Graduate), takes me back and forth in time. Even the dumb story of a dream tiger which is dreaming about the dream desert, adds unknown beauty to the movie. A One line about IT... "If India is a growing, it has to be equivalent in all industry. if only Leg (IT) is growing, it is a Disease (yaanai Kaal), we have to cure it." explains the impact of IT over other industry. Just like real life, this movie has got no logic :) Unlike my earlier blogs on Movies, This blog going to be a sketch of incidents that cames to my mind while watching this movie. Incident 1: Guindy, 04:30 pm, I have just reached the Gandhi Mandapam Bus

Blog Updates

Past four days, I have been doing some changes to the blog that should have caused some web outages of my blog. I am sorry, if you are one of those who caught in the mid. But the sad to note, is that I have revert back all the changes that i made to blog, as I was dissatisfied with my changes. Anyways, Blogs, the new medium of sharing, consumes more time (kills time) and in addion to that, it needs to be arranged in a proper order. Few days back, I have posted a video on my Edinburgh trip made by Chirag, soon more videos were yet to be released, under the category "video series", I have to ensure that the size of the video is less, so that many can view it without any problems. For Now make sure you have.. * Subscribe to My Blog Entries (RSS) http://smartpandian.com/feed * Subscribe to My Blog Comments (RSS) http://smartpandian.com/comments/feed More Changes yet to come...